Spring cleaning isnt just for houses, your smile deserves a good scrub down every now and again, too. And what better way to keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy than by eating a healthy diet? There are certain foods that act as natural abrasives that polish your teeth.
To help you stay on top of your oral health and your internal spring cleaning, here are the top 6 foods that clean teeth naturally:
- Tea Herbal teas, like green tea, contain polyphenol antioxidants that reduce plaque and prevent cavities and gum disease. Tea also contains fluoride, which helps strengthen tooth enamel and eliminates bad breath.
- Cheese Cheese contains natural cavity-fighting agents, as well as vitamins that strengthen teeth. The calcium and phosphate in cheese helps balance pH levels in the mouth, preserves tooth enamel, produces saliva, and kills bacteria that cause cavities and disease.
- Fruits Fruits, such as apples, strawberries and kiwis, scrub your teeth when you eat them. When the natural fibers of the fruits combine with saliva in the mouth, they help wash away food particles and stain-causing bacteria.
- Vegetables – Crunchy vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and cucumbers can help clean your teeth and gums by removing food particles that can build up into plaque.
- Fresh herbs Chewing on herbs, like parsley, cilantro, and mint helps decrease odors caused by a buildup of bacteria.
- Water Water cleans the mouth and produces saliva that deposits essential minerals that build tooth enamel. Water also keeps gums hydrated and washes away food particles from teeth.
How do you keep up with your spring dental cleaning? Share with us in the comments below.