Did you know that April is National Oral Health Month? Maintaining good oral hygiene is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth and gums. Healthy teeth not only enable you to look and feel good, they make it possible to speak properly, eat, and are a key indicator of overall health.
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, tooth decay is the most common chronic illness among school-age children. And about 1 in 4 nonelderly adults and children has untreated tooth decay, which is almost entirely preventable.
Thats why DentalPlans.com is offering a few basic tips to keep your smiles bright, brought to us by a nationwide network of more than 100,000 Dentists:
- Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily to remove plaque that can’t be reached by your toothbrush.
- Eat a healthy diet and limit sugary foods, sodas and coffee.
- Make sure you are consuming plenty of foods and drinks that are good for your oral health- including herbal teas, cheese, fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, and water.
- Limit juice drinks for children and avoid sugary drinks.
- Avoid cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may contribute to gum disease and oral cancer.
- Schedule preventive care and schedule dental checkups. This is the best way to detect early signs of periodontal disease.
DentalPlans.com likes to make you smile. Thats why we’re offering a special discount and incentive for those who sign up in the month of April in recognition of Oral Health Month. Encourage your friends and family to take charge of their dental health with coupon code FRIENDS15 for 15% off plus 3 extra months free. And, your opinion matters. Tell us what topics you would like to see featured on the blog and connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.