This new sweetener, called Xylitol, is not only found to be non-harmful to children and their teeth, but it is actually considered to be beneficial.
Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar substitute found in the fibers of oats, mushrooms, various types of berries, and even in corn husks.
This all-natural substitute is considered tooth-friendly as it actually helps prevent tooth decay and cavities by remineralizing tooth enamel. Tooth decay and cavities are formed by acid in the mouth.
Xylitol decreases acid producing bacteria in the mouth by up to 90 percent and therefore greatly decreases the incidence of tooth decay in children. Acid in the mouth is produced by bacteria. Xylitol decreases plaque formation so bacteria cannot stick to the teeth or demineralize the enamel.
Xylitol is now available in select chewing gums, candy, mints, toothpaste, mouthwash and even in floss. It is also available as a bulk sweetener.
Parents, remember that in excessive amounts, Xylitol may cause bloating, gas and diarrhea, just as most other sugar substitutes do if used in excess.
For more information about this new sweetener and how it can potentially save you money on dental care, read “5 Ways Xylitol Reduces Your Dental Bills.”
“Dr. Krimsky’s Dental Wisdom” is a feature guest post from Dr. Peter Krimsky, a Florida dentist and member of numerous professional dentistry organizations, including the Florida Dental Association, American Dental Association and Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. He also works with his patients to save money on dental care procedures with discount dental plans from DentalPlans.com.