Our “Dentist of the Month” will be answering questions straight from dental patients and our Members. This month, Dr. Sarah Day, located in Longwood, Florida, has provided helpful answers to some of your important dental health questions:
1. What are some easy ways to improve the appearance of my teeth? Sometimes, just by having your teeth professionally whitened; it can make you look years younger.
2. How often should I have my teeth cleaned? It is very important to have your teeth cleaned and examined by the dentist and your dental hygienist every 6 months. This promotes a happy, healthy, clean mouth.
3. What is the difference between a family dentist and a pediatric dentist? A pediatric dentist is a specialist, they focus on children only. If there is a fear or phobia, the pediatric dentist has trained techniques to calm and comfort children in a childlike setting. A family dentist treats patients of all ages.
4. How can my oral health affect my overall health? Taking care of your oral health is vital to the well-being in the health of your body. Healthy teeth are important for many reasons, with good strong teeth, we are able to chew and break down our food so we can digest it properly. When your teeth are maintained properly and there is no decay present, bacteria are minimal, helping us to potentially control other related diseases.
5. Do electric toothbrushes really make a difference? We here at Sweetwater Dentalpromote using the Sonicare electric toothbrush to help prevent tooth decay, prevent gum (periodontal) disease and shorten the time you spend at your next dental visit. It also helps in preventing bad breath and improves your overall health.
6. How do you calm patients who are apprehensive about a procedure? We offer warm neck wraps, nitrous oxide and suggest patients bring an electronic listening device.
7. Can you use a water pick in place of flossing? We do recommend flossing every day, although many of us do not floss on a regular basis. We offer the Sonicare AirFloss and are finding that non-flossed patients are using their airflosser 3 to 4 times a week.
Do you have a question for our dentist of the month? Let us know in the comments below!