More than 30 million Americans suffer from some degree of age-related vision loss. But, did you know eating healthy could help ward off age-related vision problems, such as macular degeneration? According to the National Eye Institute, it’s not just carrots that are good for your eyes. Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, like dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, or collard greens, is important for keeping your eyes healthy too. Research also shows eating fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut are good as well.
“One of the greatest deterrents to getting vision care is access,” said Jenn Stoll, chief commercial officer for :DentalPlans. “That’s why we’ve partnered with several of the nation’s leading discount vision providers, to help members save money at participating eye doctors where they work, shop, and live. With a vision savings plan, :DentalPlans customers can save between 15 to 35 percent off eye exams and eyeglasses.”
According to the Department of Health Services Policy and Management, a recent study showed that when participants have vision care benefits they are twice as likely to have had an exam in the previous year. And the study found, older working-age people retain better vision, with periodic eye visits.
“Vision care is essential to maintaining a healthy lifestyle,” adds Stoll. In recognition of Healthy Vision Month, :DentalPlans shows families how they can save money and stay healthy with the purchase of a vision savings plan. For example,
VSP Choice Access
Individual plan: $29.95 per year
|Exam/Eyewear||Without VSP Benefits||With VSP Benefits|
|Eye Exam||$154||No more than $90|
|Frame||$150||$112.25 (25% savings)|
|Single Vision Lenses||$86||No more than $50|
|Impact-resistant Lenses (Polycarbonate)||$55||$40|
|Standard Anti-reflective Coating||$77||$45|
|Total Savings: $184.50|
This plan is not insurance.
Not available in MT, VT and WA
In addition to eating healthy, :DentalPlans offers a few basic tips to keep your eyes healthy:
- Quit Smoking. Smoking makes you more likely to get cataracts, optic nerve damage, and macular degeneration.
- Wear Sunglasses. The right sunglasses will help protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. Excessive UV exposure makes you more likely to get cataracts and macular degeneration. Choose sunglasses that block 99 to 100 percent of both UVA and UVB rays. Wraparound sunglasses can also help protect your peripheral eyesight.
- Use Safety Eyewear. Whether at home, work or play, if foreign objects may come near you eyes, wear safety glasses or protective goggles when there’s a potential risk of foreign objects coming near your eyes. For example using a chainsaw, machinery at work, or playing racquetball.
- Take Breaks from Looking at Your Computer. Staring at a computer screen all day long can cause eyestrain, blurry vision, dry eyes, headaches, and neck and back pain. Protect your eyes by making sure your vision prescription is up to date and position your computer so that your eyes are level with the top of the monitor. Also, use an anti-glare screen and choose a comfortable, supportive chair to help. If your eyes are dry, blink more and rest your eyes every 20 minutes by looking away from your screen for 20 seconds.
- Get Regular Eye Exams. Eye exam recommendations vary with age and risk for eye and vision problems. In general, adults should have their eyes checked every two years until the age of 60, and annually after that. Children and adults at increased risk for eye problems should have exams more frequently.
:DentalPlans has successfully been operating as a private exchange since 1999 as the largest dental savings plan marketplace. Similar to a membership at a warehouse club, consumers pay an annual fee and get access to reduced rates on dental services and cosmetic dentistry and orthodontia, as well as vision and pharmacy. Members can choose from more than 40 different plans from trusted healthcare brands, like Aetna, Careington, Signature Wellness, and UNI-CARE, and have access to more than 100,000 dentists in combined networks nationwide. :DentalPlans has affordable plans to fit any need and budget. And, depending on the plan you choose, consumers save 10 to 60 percent off services. Visitors of DentalPlans.com can compare plans by ZIP code or procedure, view sample savings and find a nearby dentist. :DentalPlans is committed to making you smile, by making access to quality oral healthcare affordable and available to everyone nationwide. It’s one of the reasons the company has been on the Inc. 5000 list, 3 years standing. To connect with :DentalPlans visit us at www.dentalplans.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dentalplans.