Add up your family’s monthly or yearly costs in any one area, and, chances are, you’re going to feel overwhelmed. But when you start focusing on each specific line…from entertainment to restaurants, supermarket to travel…you’re probably going to see some things you can cut – and lots you can save – if you want to.
The same goes for your family dental care. Just like you might choose to, say, skip the movie snacks, use coupons more, or carpool with a neighbor, a few, genuinely simple steps can also go a long way toward reducing these costs.
Take these five:
- Buy dental products in bulk. As with so many other things, dental products are less expensive per unit when you buy more of them at once. So the next time you’re at your favorite warehouse or club store, stock up on toothbrushes, floss, mouthwash, and anything else you use regularly. This will not only save you money, but will encourage you to practice Step 2.
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months. Why? Newer, fresher products ensure a better cleaning job. And a better job at maintaining your dental health leads to better check-ups, less emergencies, and (you guessed it) a less expensive dental bill. We recommend adding, “change toothbrushes” to your family calendar as a reminder. And speaking of calendars…
- Set calendar reminders for yourself to remind you to make your and your family’s regular dental appointments: Check ups, x-rays, follow-ups, and, if you need them, dental specialists. As with any aspect of your health, regular, preventative care and regular maintenance of your teeth and gums, will save you pain and money.
- Encourage your children to take care of their teeth. Most kids are perfectly happy to skip a brushing altogether if you’re not reminding and watching them. And if they ARE reminded, they often do a lightning-speed job. Parents can make the task more enjoyable by setting up brushing charts in the bathroom for children to check, stamp, or sticker. Also fun: Buy a colorful timer and set it for between two and three minutes. Then have kids brush for that recommended time. They’ll be surprised to see how what they’ve been doing compares to what they should be doing. Contests are fun, too. Again, good care goes a long way toward reducing costs.
- Finally, ask your dentist or hygienist, which specific brands of products are best for you and your family. Then, shop around to find the best deals on those. A bit of research and legwork can save you a bundle over time.
Everyone wants to save money on their family dental care, and the best thing you can do is take steps to avoid unnecessary problems. Of course, DentalPlans.comoffers a huge variety of discounted plans at the best prices anywhere. If your or your family’s needs change, contact us anytime to make sure we’re doing all we can to help you. We’re here for you!
What do you do daily, weekly, or monthly to make sure your family is taking care of their teeth? Let us know below!