Heres an eye-catching figure you probably never knew: More than 177 million Americans suffer from some degree of vision loss.
While not all eye diseases can be prevented, its important to make an appointment with an optometrist and get regular eye exams. Most serious eye conditions, such as glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration (AMD), are more easily treated if diagnosed early.
To help you maintain good vision health and reduce out-of-pocket costs, here are five tips to save on vision care:
- Use HSA Money An alternative to regular health insurance, you can use the tax-free money from health savings accounts (HSA) for many medical expenses, such as prescription drugs (including over-the-counter drugs), long-term, dental and vision care.
- Discount Vision Plans Vision plans such as DentalPlans.coms Coast to Coast Vision, offer savings of 10% to 60% at more than 12,000 participating eye care locations nationwide. Members save on eyeglasses, contacts, eye exams and surgical procedures.
- Daily Deals Daily deal sites like Groupon and LivingSocial offer significant discounts at local eye care locations on eye exams, prescription eyewear, lenses, frames, contacts and more.
- Assistance Programs Local clinics and charitable organizations offer special assistance to those that are unemployed or have a low income. Lions Club International, for example, has chapters nationwide collecting glasses from donors and distribute them to those in need.
- Online Savings Online stores such as ZenniOptical.com, JustEyewear.comand EyeBuyDirect.com offer savings on men and womens designer frames, childrens eyeglasses, sunglasses and more.
How do you save on your vision care? Share your tips in the comments below.