There are a lot of things that make me smile, but helping children smile is at the top of my list. So I’m very happy to announce that DentalPlans.com and Operation Smile have teamed up to pay smiles forward to heal the smiles of more than 40 children around the world.
In celebration of National Smile Month during June, we’ll be featuring a “Share a Smile, Save a Smile” photo contest on Facebook and giving you a chance to tweet what makes you smile on Twitter to benefit Operation Smile in its efforts to provide free reconstructive surgery for children born with clefts by mobilizing volunteer medical professionals from 76 countries.
And, I thought I’d kick the smiles off on our blog by giving you the top 17 reasons why you should wear a grin and share your smile.
- It takes 17 facial muscles to smile. But every time you frown, you’re using up 43 muscles.
- Smiles never go up in price or down in value.
- Scientists at Vanderbilt University found that laughing can stoke your calorie burn by up to 20%.
- A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
- Some studies report that people who smile are more likely to get promoted at work.
- A smile adds face value.
- You will never offend anyone by returning a smile.
- Research conducted at the University of Illinois suggests that people who generally feel happy and smile more often have a longer life expectancy of nearly a decade.
- A smile confuses an approaching frown.
- During an experiment conducted in Sweden, participants reported that they found it very difficult to frown when they saw other participants who were smiling.
- People all over the world smile in the same language.
- The world always looks brighter from behind a smile.
- Studies have shown that smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers and serotonin.
- Newborn babies crack their first grin as early as two hours after delivery.
- When you’re in a bad mood, smiling can trick your body and help change your mood.
- Smiling can boost your immune system and help prevent the flu and colds.
- This month, you can help us save a smile with Operation Smile when you share your smile with DentalPlans.com. Click here to find out more