According the blog I Shot the Chef, this flourless chocolate cake turned out so light and yet so flavorful at the same time. Give it a try this weekend and make leave us a comment on how it turned out! As always please remember to brush and floss after indulging in any sweet treat.
Chocolate Valentino Recipe
16 ounces (1 pound) of semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
½ cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons (146 grams total) of unsalted butter
5 large eggs separated
1. Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) and melt, stirring often.
2. While your chocolate butter mixture is cooling, butter your pan (6? X 8? or close to that) or ramekins lined with a buttered parchment paper circle.
3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium bowls. Whip the egg whites in a medium grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed (do not over-whip or the cake will be dry). With the same beater beat the egg yolks together.
4. Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no white remains without deflating the batter.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full, and bake at 375F/190C. Bake for 25 minutes until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C. Note If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet.
6. Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes then unmold.
Makes 6-8 servings
Would you make this Flourless Chocolate Cake?